In a house full of toddlers and pets, you can start out having a bad day, but you keep getting detoured.

- Robert Brault








Sunday, March 20, 2011

Life with dogs




We have been blessed with three wonderful rescue dogs. They have had healthy, happy lives and they have been wonderful 'children' to us and fabulous 'siblings' to the two-legged kids.

Our pit mix, Chino, has been losing some weight and after some extensive blood work, we were told she is severely anemic with a very low blood cell count and not going to make it. She's not suffering right now and seems to be enjoying life despite the diagnosis. She is on several meds for ten days. We are getting a second opinion by our dear vet we used to see in the city. We trust him and respect his final diagnosis.

Anyway, when we got the 'call' yesterday morning, I laid near Chino and cried. I was telling her she could go to the 'Rainbow Bridge' whenever she felt she needed to go. I know, I know, corny but whatever she's my girl. If you don't know the poem 'Rainbow Bridge,' it's a poem about losing beloved pets. Anyway, I said 'please Dad, send me a sign that you will be waiting when Chino passes over. The moment was soon over and we went into the family room. Not an hour later, this reflection was on our wall. I have never seen it before but it looks like a 'rainbow bridge' to me.



I told Chino to 'jump up' and the 'rainbow bridge' was directly over her head.





We are praying for the best and preparing for the worst. Whatever happens, I know my late dad will be there with open arms waiting for his grand-dogs when the time comes.


As a side note, while I was whispering sweet nothings into Chino's ear, I also said, 'it's okay if you die Chino, we love you and don't want you to suffer.' Unbeknownst to me, our two year old was behind me and said, 'no you can't - no you can't die!' So sweet and so sad.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I am SO VERY sorry that you all are going through this. It is such a hard time. When it is Chino's time, I am sure that Shelbie will be waiting for a playmate! Love you guys!