![]() |
| Captured from Scott Crane's profile |
In the fall of 2010, I saw a status update on a college friend's Facebook page. She was helping her friend's son reach the goal of 5000 friends on Facebook. I immediately 'friended' him and joined the mission. I updated my status asking friends to also help him reach his goal. His name was Scott Crane. He was an inpatient hospice patient at the time. I watched his numbers jump from 200 to 5000 rather quickly. I am confident he did not need my help.
We chatted on Facebook. We read each other's blogs. As a matter of fact, he became my biggest motivator to keep up with my posts. He would email me asking me to write a blog entry so he could laugh. He would follow-up with emails pertaining to my posted blog entries.
I never met Scott Crane, his family, nor his little dog but over the months, I felt like I knew all of them. His devoted and amazing parents that didn't want to leave Scott and go out for their anniversary dinner. His adorable sister was not only a teacher but also the sparkle in his eye. Her boyfriend that saw he was mentioned on the Chicago Eater blog. His dog that was very much another sibling.
Having three small children, I began praying that my kids would grow up and be as amazing as Scott Crane. I am thankful I shared that with him. I began to pray that my husband and I could be like Scott's parents, giving our children the world at their fingertips. Having them grow up and know that they can take on the world and we would be right there with them. I prayed my children would be as loving and kind as Scott Crane. I prayed our children would be in their early twenties and appreciate us the way Scott Crane appreciated and loved his family.
Scott Crane became my friend and my daily motivation and not only because of his fabulous quotes. One evening we were chatting on Facebook and I said I had to get my hyper children to sleep. He quickly popped back up stating they were kids and they were supposed to be hyper. The day of the blizzard he popped up saying how much he hated the snow. He said it was a four-letter word in the Crane house. That was one of the only negative things I ever saw him write. I wrote back that I was ready for spring. He popped up again saying to forget spring BRING ON SUMMER!!
Today Scott Crane's family is celebrating his life at a service at their temple. I am very sad I can't be there but I keep looking at the clock knowing the celebration will begin in 15 minutes. I know I never met Scott in person but I know the temple will be packed with amazing people celebrating a person that is larger than life. Celebrating a young boy taken way too soon yet he had more insight than people 4 times his age.
Scott Crane your positive energy will live on in my soul and I am confident it will live on in many people as well!! When the sun shines bright, I will know it's because of you my friend! Fly free!

2 comments:
Got me crying aMAYzing Jenny - you have a gift as well - Love you and yours xoxoxox
Jenny! I, too am crying.... I hope is family gets to read this! I was friends with him because of you!
Post a Comment