I have no regrets about my relationship with my daddy. We saw him almost every day of the week and when I did see him we laughed, talked and just enjoyed the energy of one another. He was kind and loving yet had a feisty side that always made me laugh. I was there the Tuesday before he passed and he told me to 'move my stupid fat ass' because he thought I was in the way of the remote. That was my dad, that's how he talked and that's what I loved about him. Those that know me, know that's how I talk too and it doesn't mean I love you any less. As a matter of fact, if I am not talking like that to you, I probably don't even like you much!
The Monday before my world was shattered, I complained on my blog about a ripped contact and broken glasses. At the end of my post I wrote, 'If this is the worst that happens to me this week, I am good to go but man..........' If I only knew then what I know now!!!
Mom and Dad were hit head-on by someone that blew through a red light six weeks ago and they had court the Wednesday before he passed. The baby and I went with for moral support. The guy that hit them kept apologizing and wanted to chat with my dad. Due to the 'quiet zone' in court, he was unable to chat. Mom and I couldn't get out of there fast enough when it was over yet dad was walking really slowly. We told him to hurry and he said , 'no, I want to talk to this guy and accept his apology.' I still hear his voice telling the guy that blew through a stop sign and tried to leave that 'things happen and the important thing is that everyone was okay.' He was so forgiving and kind!!
Thursday morning I rushed to the hospital after he told my mom to call 911. Long story short, he left this earth with his wife of 54 years, 5 daughters, 5 sons-in-law, and 15 grandkids by his side. The hospital was fabulous, our family is fabulous and our hearts will forever be broken.
That said, after recently being though this hell, I decided to write 13 things you should keep in mind when a loved one passes (yours or a friends)....

1.Skip the idle chit-chat with the family at the wake/funeral. Their minds are spinning - to say the least
2. Bring food to the house, otherwise they won't eat
3. Show up to the wake and/or funeral no matter what you have on your schedule - As my mom always says, 'you do the things you want to do and make excuses for the things you don't'
4. Hold your family close, very close
5. Hold your good friends close, very close
6. Hold your good friends that never leave your side even closer
7. Eliminate your 'good' friends that didn't show up to pay their last respects - Two minutes at a wake is a lifetime of gratitude to a grieving friend
8. Breath, laugh, cry, love, hug, repeat
9. 'Take one minute at a time - the hours take care of themselves' - Thanks Cousin Joanie
10. As impossible as it is, rest and eat
11. Remember everyone mourns differently, respect them
12. The immediate family is in survival mode, if you think they need something, just do it for them. What they want, they can't get back
13. Don't forget to be there when the dust settles, that's when the silence sets
Love you Daddy and we ALL miss you!!






13 comments:
I am very sorry for you loss. It is incredibly hard to lose a parent. Hang in there.
The love and pain in your updates is heart wrenching. I don't even want to think about that inevitable time in my own family. Your relationship is a great example of loving people while they are here. You did just that.
My best to you and your family.
I am so sorry about the passing away of your Dad. I read this with a heavy heart too and I relate with your thoughts (lost mine in 2005). May the love of your family and friends help sustain you during this difficult time.
I m sorry!!!
Wife Resume
I'm so sorry about your loss. I would like to think I would be able to take your dad's approach with forgiveness but somehow I doubt it. TFS.
I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad...he sounded like an amazing guy! I'm glad you got to spend so much time with him before he passed. I wish I could just give you a hug...I know what it's like to lose your parents.
I lost both my parents years ago...the pain recedes but the memories linger. That's all I have now.
Your list is poignant!! And your photos warm the heart.
Come join me if you can...Mine is Thirteen CAT EXPRESSIONS...not photos, word expressions. Find it HERE. Have a wonderful day ahead.
I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a great man. Treasure the memories. (((warm hugs)))
I am so sorry for your loss. Your post is beautiful! I lost my dad almost 4 years ago, and it too was unexpected. I think your 13 things are right on.
I'm sorry for your loss. Your list of 13 is very good.. I recently lost my grandmother and all the things in your list ake sense and are very true. Blessings to you and your family.
I'm so sorry for you loss. I know nothing said can ease the pain of losing a loved one. Been there. Press in even closer to family. Your dad sounds like and amazing example of a dad and a man in general.
Wonderful post. I very recently lost my mother as well.
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-would-like-to-re-assure-my-friends.html
You have given your readers a wonderful gift out of your deep sorrow and grief. I've been through it. Wouldn't change a word and couldn't have said it better.
Post a Comment