In a house full of toddlers and pets, you can start out having a bad day, but you keep getting detoured.

- Robert Brault








Wednesday, February 18, 2009

13 Things I wish I knew before I had my FIRST baby

13 Things I wish I knew before I had my FIRST baby...

1. Diaper pails are overrated - Plastic bags work just fine IF there is poop
2. Baby clothes look a lot bigger off the baby
3. Don't save cute outfits for special occasions because the baby grows very fast
4. DON'T and I repeat DON'T register for any baby blankets because you will get too many anyway
5. You can't decide which 'blankie' your baby likes best - no matter how cute you think it is
6. Your dog(s) will not become dog(s) just because you have a new baby - unless you can't balance
7. Breast feeding is not natural. If you want to do it, be prepared to work at it (the lactation consultant was my best friend with my first)
8. The baby will not bond with the nurses and not you if you put him/her in the nursery for a few hours to get some rest
9. Life goes on at home so enjoy every second at the hospital with people waiting on you and reminding you to do things like take medicine, eat and even go to the bathroom
10. Most husbands are not very comfortable with brand new babies (and if yours is - more power to you)
11. If ever you were modest, having a vaginal delivery will change that FOREVER (I can't speak for C-Sections)
12. Post-delivery uterus contractions hurt like hell - ESPECIALLY when you are nursing the first few days
13. Invest in a nice pack n' play - not a bassinet

http://thursday-13.com/

11 comments:

Janet said...

great list for women that might be expecting some day :-)

Unknown said...

LOL Yes, your list of 'must haves' certainly changes after you've had a couple. Mine was non existant by kid #4 ! Happy T13!

Karen said...

Isn't it amazing how things would change if only you knew things ahead of time? Good list!

Lori said...

Oh, these are SO TRUE (LOL).

Anonymous said...

Good TT! I remember all the help my la leche league friends gave me when my daughter was breastfeeding )some 30 years ago! haha). I'd have given up without their help. :-)
Happy TT!
I'm up at both Thornesworld
and with my very first TT at my new blog, Eclectic Witch!
I hope you'll stop by!

Anonymous said...

You're scaring me from ever wanting a baby! Especially with #11! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, this is a great list. I wish some one have told me.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you should right a book! This is great advice - very practical.

Your kids are so cute! Congratulations on the christening!

Anonymous said...

#9 for the win! By kid #5, a night in the hospital was a treat even if I was worried about what was going on at home without me.

Jes said...

So perhaps I am not a bad mom for sending my first born to the nursery on night one since she wouldn't stop crying. One day old and grounded, if that wasn't fortelling of things to come I don't know what is.

Anonymous said...

dang girl you're racking up the comments! haha
cool list, i guess . . . but now i'm terrified ;)
buuuut i still want a familia grande! haha