
13 Things I will miss about my childhood home...
My parents sold their house. The problem is, it is not just their house but all their five daughters' too and their families. They sold a piece of me and everyone else too, including themselves. We grew into the walls of that house and not just because there were seven of us.
While I am heartbroken, the memories aren't a part of the closing and that makes me feel better. The new buyers don't get the confusion, love, laughter, tears and they definitely don't get our parents. We get to keep those all to ourselves.
While the signing over of the house will tear at all of us, the wounds will heal. The scar will remain but like all good scars, it will be the best story to tell.
While this post is bringing me to tears, I am sure it won't be as emotional for you, the reader...unless of course you are one of the seven that grew and thrived within the walls of this home...or their offspring of course.
With tears, pride and fond memories, I present my Thursday 13!!
1. The creak of the front door
2. The red maple
3. Mom's garden
4. Dad's workshop
5. The kid-friendly family room
6. The neighbors
7. The 'visual' memories
8. The deck
9. 4th of July parties
10.....All the parties
11. The familiarity of it all
12. The security of knowing I can go to my childhood home whenever I feel like it
13. Everything!! The hallway, attic, the bar, basement, the walls, etc.
The great news is my parents actually sold their house in this market. They sold the house to a fabulous young couple that is getting married this summer. A fabulous couple that will raise their own family and build their own memories.
We are lucky. Mom and Dad are healthy and young and are able to move into a beautiful new home just over the border where we can build new memories...not far from any of us. We are lucky for the memories the house helped us build and lucky as hell for the amazing parents that raised us well within those walls!!
www.thursday-13.com
26 comments:
Great post Jen. Sorry to hear that your childhood home is changing hands. I don't even want to think about my folks moving. Heck, it's technically still my address in the States :)
Dan
This is a beautiful post. I am glad your parents were able to sell in this market. The baby is getting so big!!
Lydia
:( :( :( :(
the seven people raised in that house aren't the only ones that have tears reading that post.
I am now crying at work! I am one of those 7
Beautiful job Jenny May!
Beautiful tribute to your childhood memories.
Treasure the Memories. You are very fortunate to have them. Happy T13!
I can see why you're sad, but congratulations to your parents for making a sale in the current economic climate!
Actually, I could barely read your post since I've been living in my childhood home for the past 10 years and since my Dad passed in December, and the house was left to my brother and me, it has to be sold and I must find a new place to live.
I felt the same way about the home of my grandparents. At least we still have the memories and the opportunity to create the same for our own kids.
What a sweet post. I remember when my parents sold the house I grew up in. It's hard sometimes letting go, but we have made so many new memories since.
It sounds like you had a great childhood. My parents lived in the house I was raised in until they passed away. When my sister finally sold it and moved into the city, it was really strange.
The important part of your memories are the family you made them with. You still have them and can continue to make more memories in the new place.
Ya, I feel you;) Happy TT.
It's hard leaving home, wherever home is. I'm going to leave home soon too, although they're not selling the house, but I still feel a sad...
We'll just be happy for the wonderful memories! =)
That's a tough one, but great list!
Gosh, I know what you mean. Isn't it funny how some places have certain sentient experiences? I remember the smell of my Grandfather's house; the sound echoing in my parent's home and so much more.
I am sorry for your loss.
Hey. I feel your sadness. My parents sold their home 2 years ago and I still miss that old house. We had some great memories there. Anyway, focus on the good, in the present. Your folks are still around. Create new memories.
I can so empathize with you...this brought tears welling up in my eyes...I know just what you're feeling!!!
Mine are posted now...hope to see you there sometime if you can find a bit of your day to stop by! happy Thursday.
This gave me tears Tehe. I can totally relate since we are so close as families.
Ouch. It's so bittersweet isn't it. I can tell you as someone who just put a bid down that those happy memories do seep into the walls. When we found our home one of the things we could feel was how happy the family had been.
Oh, that's hard. I remember when my parents sold their home. I feel your sadness.
What a beautiful family you have! I didn't feel the same when my mom sold out old house, but I've been accused of being a cold-hearted gypsy more than once.
My ancestral home was sold when I was 23, I still think of that place when someone says "home" you'll always have your memories & photos.
Congratulations to your parents though, for being able to sell in this market too.
It's always sad when a childhood home is sold. At least with a young couple buying it there should be many more happy memories absorbed into the framework.
My parent still live in the same house that I grew up in. I'm not sure how I will feel when they sell.
I could not of written your Thursday 13 any better:) Being one of those 7 this is a very emotional time for all of us:( And, we are all very fortunate to be able to have all LOVING memories growing-up:) But, our families being as close as we all are - will only build more and more new memories in mom & dad's new home because they are by far the best parents (better than the rest) in the whole world:)
I hope you take time to someday write out the stories of those 13 little snapshots. Even though your experiences there are technically different in details, everyone can relate to that feeling of letting go of 'home.'
Nice. Be well*
Post a Comment